Sunday, November 28, 2010

Jackadup, Yaargadup: Jackadder Lake, where the bandits swim

Jackadup, Yaargadup: Jackadder Lake, where the bandits swim
Upon Jackadder Lake the sun sets and shines gold and red till it is replaced by neon night lights from the village shopping centre opposite, bobbing red ripples in the wind wash.
Here on dusk and into the night, the golden bell and banjo frogs sing their night time ballads to the swans navigating and singing overhead. The frogs are their guides to the lake and both sing, when the swan hears the frog, both sing their way to the water.
Without the song of the frog how else might the swan find it?
When I was a child I did as children do. I hunted the edges of that lake for duck eggs. The ducks built their nests above the water line, nests that they dug from the roots of the grass that hung beneath the lakeside turf. And visiting the local delicatessen of Mordini Brothers I collected and fed stale bread to the waiting swans, gulls and coots and stood fearless amidst their frantic feathered fighting and squabbling for scraps.
The extended necks of swans gave the marauding gulls and coots something to fear for tail feathers were often pinched and ripped from extended beaks.
But beyond the squabbling of beaks and flying feathers, hovered half-submerged long-necked hard-shelled yaargeny. The yaargeny are the long-necked tortoise, the namesake of Jackadder Lake (Jackadup, Yaargadup) and below the surface they waited and bided their time.
Once I spied several attacking a seagull. It didn’t stand a chance.
In the shadows cast by the lakeside willows where the long reeds sing with reed warbling songs swam this band of bandits. One attacked, brave from beneath, he attacked the unsuspecting gull unnoticed and another winged that gull and pulled. And then another was biting its now bleeding breast, and that desperate gull trod the water. It struggled in its vain attempts to break free, to find its height before it sank.
I watched the white feather sky dweller’s carcass and fighting form, half-submerged and sinking in the depths as the bandits finished him, until the stillness of water returned to calm him.
In the shallows the white Egret stalks and hunts in silence, scanning the reeds for frogs, tadpoles and gambezi fish. He stands rigid, fixed, and aiming, and like a shot his beak flashes. His spear is thrust and seldom misses.
I too had watched and admired the pinging tail movements of the musk duck. I had once caught some beneath the arching bridge from the stream that fed Herdsman’s Lake. This stream also had openings that fed the east side storm drains from Yaargadup. I wondered if the young musk had been sucked in from that lake and beneath the roads had swum before finding the stream beneath that arching bridge.
All around that lake I found my way.
I once strapped 33 gallon drums together and paddled the raft across one day, and together with friends we trawled and swept the shallows with nets for carp and dragonfly larvae and sucking leech.
But now I am older, I walk with my own children by that lake beneath the willows and teach them the names of ducks and together we watch for the black protruding noses of the black shelled bandits of Yaargadup.
And here that was once a cow paddock was also a horse yard. I find myself thinking of horses, imagining them galloping with tails held aloft, whinnying in their play near the lake. Here in the 1930s my grandfather’s brothers James and Tom acquired a foal from this herd. Its name was Chico and it was here it had received its winning genes.
Here too near this lake white hunters in the 1890s had chased their quarry, a wild kwerr brush kangaroo. Here their hunting dogs had caught her baying and howling along the now unseen fence line and delivered their kill for the men on horseback blowing horns.
But before this time Yaargadup had seen other events, for here bands of wilgied Noongar had wandered in their millennia of coming and going, in skin cloaks and naked in the sun, standing knee deep in the mud hunting yaargeny to cook in the ashes of their smouldering lakeside fires. Others had dug their eggs from the soil, and made their beehive huts where million dollar mansions now stand, where the wealthy watch from their wide glazed windows the silver lines of recreational 4WDrive vehicles, with young families lazing on tartan rugs with prams.
But sometimes I still see the originals. In the trees I still see and hear the wild ones of former days.
The family of magpie still hunt their lands and nest and swoop in spring, and at night I can sometimes hear the mopoke sing.
And recently my daughter and son spied the broken shell of a black baby bandit that some pedestrian’s foot had stepped upon, unseen in their walking. Some other passerby had discovered it, and felt pity for it, the namesake of this lake.
This lake where miniature sails now flap between foam buoys and race and where their owners in rubber suits and wellington boots stand with radio controls for hours.
This lake where red and yellow Ferrari sometimes park and drivers sip coffee, where thousands of feet now tread, and where the lakeside sports equipment sits spaced, idle and waiting.
This lake, the wind still washes from one side to the other the feather down of swans, sea birds and coots, where the musk duck pings in its courtship, with the banjo frog singing: ‘plonk, bonk,’ and guiding the swan.
This lake where I want to cast my shoes aside. Here I want to enter the water once more. I want to hunt duck eggs and fish for the bandits with woollen twine weighted with lumps of meat. No matter how much the yaargeny stink I want my children to know the thrill of their capture and release.
I want my children to fish for carp and wade in the shallows, and to name the birds as I did, but in reality I know they can’t, for nothing is as it once was.
We can’t feed the swans or wade in the water with nets for it is now a nature reserve, nature and bread stuffed ducks are rightly a thing of the past, times have changed, we’ve got to keep the waters calm, except for that lake’s edge frantic in its steps and stepping, with untethered marauding dogs and 4WDrive all terrain vehicles hugging the kerb and ladies with wide-brimmed hats and wide-eyed glasses cramming the shoreline.
But at night as the stampede subsides the peace of Yaargadup returns once more.
When all have left the plonk-bonk song returns to serenade the moon and guide the singing swan. And sometimes I have this Déjà vu that where the bandits swim, I’ve been before and sense I am that child again.

13 Comments:

At December 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM , Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

Those tortoises are nasty little devils....poor seagulls! Just Nature doing its thing I guess. I lived in a house overlooking Lake Seppings when I was a kid and used to collect them in the back of the station wagon - my poor Mum having a daughter like me who just loved all of God's little creatures, especially the ugly ones!

 
At December 2, 2010 at 7:12 AM , Blogger McCabeandco said...

Well tortoises of course aren't nasty devils... but effective hunter gatherers of the animal kingdom... I hope it didn't appear I was saying bad things about the tortoise... My words were, I thought, equally expressing an admiration for the survival of the tortoise... at least that's what I hoped to convey. I had followed Sarah Toa's advice and entered this yarn and another in the Nature Conservancy Writing competition... Just my luck if I got a tortoise lover judge who took my words out of context! I love tortoises ok!! :) Now can I have my prize!!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM , Blogger Dr Mad Fish said...

LOL, I know you love tortoises, it's OK...:)

 
At December 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM , Blogger ciaranl said...

Mate, that was a fantastic read. Loved it from start to finish.

 
At December 11, 2010 at 6:53 AM , Blogger McCabeandco said...

Thank you Ciaran, glad you liked it. There is something about the description of place...with its sounds and events.. like Dublin where you live... imagine the guild of writers who have held to their pen and paper...like your fellow Irishman Patrick Kavanagh writing about Grafton Street, Dublin. A place where, 'old ghosts meet'... and And, I don't know who penned it but when I think of Dublin I am thinking of the "Angelus bell o'er the Liffey swell rang out through the foggy dew'... There is more than poetry here... what did the old Irish call it? Imbas... I think...?? a stream of muse inspired writing... And hey, the Irish muse or sidhe? has been inspiring the Irish in their writings and music for how many years?? Lets hear more from you soon Ciaran, best wishes

 
At December 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM , Blogger sarah toa said...

This is such a wonderful story Tim. It is full of the yearning for past and our old kind of interaction with nature. I hope you got a result from the Nature Conservancy! (I didn't). I find the term 'nature reserve' such an anachronism, still struggling with it, even after understanding that we need to look after these places and not go hunting there (and fair enough).
I guess there is just too many people and too much damage done already.
Loved your tale of the tortoises hunting seagulls. It is amazing to witness something so wild.

 
At December 13, 2010 at 5:42 AM , Blogger McCabeandco said...

Sarah, many thanks for your comments. And, like you I didn't hear from the Nature Conservancy. And, as I said, perhaps there was a tortoise lover on their team who mistook my words... :) But it was great fun to have entered. Your suggestion that I enter my work has me scanning new competitions for future challenges... Many thanks for that! But you know I wonder what the judges were looking for, were they seeking writings about the pristine wilderness devoid of we humans?

 
At December 14, 2010 at 2:46 AM , Blogger sarah toa said...

Mark Tredennick was one half of the judging team. I've just read his Blue Plateau, which is one of the loveliest experiences, a really nice book to read slowly and savour. I suppose it could be useful to read whatever the judges are writing ... maybe. My story was about the dying whale in the harbour and was kind of a reversal of nature writing. I'd like to look into the genre more tough, and your stories seem to sit within that genre, to me.

By the way, I'm collecting Johnny Chester stories. Could I add yours? Please? Of course it will be 100 percent acknowledged.

 
At December 14, 2010 at 5:01 AM , Blogger McCabeandco said...

Sure I'd be very happy to give you that story, but I could be a bit more descriptive of the surrounds where Mr Chester and his dogs found their rest that day. But, hey, a collection of Chester stories sounds great! He is in many ways a modern day Moondyne Joe... and Woodchip bomber no less!! And great to hear that you told the story of that whale in the harbour. The one they left to die... and then... It must have come in seeking shelter... and from one mammal to another we let it down. I wonder whether they would have let it die if it was the last of its species?? I'd like to read your story of that whale and I agree with you, it might be useful to know what the judges are writing... but what would be the use in writing to their likes and dislikes? I guess one has to be wise about such things and knowing the kind of terrain that judges will react and identify with might be one way to proceed. All the best Sarah, and if you like, I can re-edit that story of Johnny Chester for you. Please let me know.

 
At December 20, 2010 at 1:35 AM , Blogger sarah toa said...

Hi Tim, I've just had a look at the Tim Humphrey's oral histories that you did, through Michelle's blog. Very nice. I'm thinking about these Chester stories again and stories like that make a wonderful addition, for background. I found this site: http://www.jbaphoto.com.au/protest.html
You probably know the guy.
My email is drumms01 at gmail dot com . If you email me, I will send you the whale story and maybe you could elaborate with your Chester stories. I'm looking for a home for 'Whale, Daughter' now, maybe Meanjin? Overland?

 
At December 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM , Blogger McCabeandco said...

Yep, John Austin I know that man well! That first photo with all standing around that tree platform hand in hand I remember well for I was a part of that circle too... Very sad but special memories... Actually, I collected a number of blockader tree sitter poems and writings and John was to put some of his photos to them. I should send him what I did. Your email is a wake up call. I will be in touch about your whale story, thanks for that.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Jackadder said...

Your passion for all creatures great and small begs me to ask. I am trying to verify a sighting of an animal I have not been able to identify, at Jackadder Lake Woodlands when I was a child, perhaps in the mid to late 1960's. A gathering of approx 20 people watched as a large dark grey, 'preying mantis like' animal walked 'camelion jerking' style towards the water. It resembled a elongated bodied spider similar in shape to the white tailed spider however if my memory serves me correctly would have been approx 4cm wide in the thorax area, 20cm long and body region approx 5cm off the ground when walking on crayfish like legs. I have taken into account a childs impression here (I would originally have said 30cm long, 8cm across its back, grey and both hairy and spikey). I am 100% confident of the sighting and would love to identify this creature. Any ideas?

 
At January 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Blogger McCabeandco said...

Jackadder, thank you for your letter. I seldom check my blog these days but I appreciate the time you have taken to describe an important observation out at Jackadder Lake. I cannot recall that event or the animal you describe, although I am jealous wishing I too had shared the experience of its observation! I remember when I was about 8 watching a fisherman with a rod catching an unusually sized tortoise. Come to think of it, its size was abnormal! It appeared twice or two and a half times larger than the largest tortoise I had seen. Best of luck in your quest to track down that mysterious animal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home