Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Magpie Sings for Jakub's birthday aged 2

The Magpie Sings for Jakub's birthday aged 2
It is nearing the end of djilbaa, the Noongar spring.
We are entering early summer on the 31st of October 'Halloween,' but Halloween it isn't.
Here in Perth, in the southern hemisphere it is not Samhain, Halloween, but Bealltainn or Beltane.
It is a festival time, a celebration of life, fertility and the crop.
Here it is a pinnacle of prosperity.
The flowers of the Australian bush are laden with nectar. All matter of birds and frogs have been signalling the arrival of this peak period for weeks.
Yesterday, I had another visit from the singing virtuoso magpie.
He, or she... I find it not always easy to tell... but I think he... showed me again his ability in mimicking the singers around him.
First there was the sound and song of the twenty eight parrot, then came the song of the mud lark, then the morning honey eater and then the wattle bird and others... small brackets of song.
He and the hedge of orange murraya are in flower, all of them singing their songs of nectar and the sweet scents of the season. And my little boy turns two today.
Miles away he is, and I miss him.

5 Comments:

At November 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM , Blogger sarah toa said...

Beltane, how beautiful, no nectar that I could see on the paperbarks but the tea tree are laden and they look like snow. birds call the alarm everywhere you walk in the bush coz they have babies to protect. My how they carry on! and to watch those little birds take on an osprey! A reminder that diligence and absolute tenacity can overcome most scary things!

 
At November 2, 2008 at 2:05 AM , Blogger seedling said...

Happy birthday to your son.
Hope you get to celebrate it together some time soon :)

 
At November 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM , Blogger BloodRedRoses said...

I think I'm a little late, but happy birthday to your son.

I love the way you describe things... makes me wish I could see what you're seeing.

 
At November 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM , Blogger neetzy said...

You are a wonderful writer! I read several posts. It's fun to think that you are celebrating Bealltainne rather than Samhain down under! You are obviously of Celtic descent! I do love the colors of this season. I painted today. The leaves are now falling fast.

 
At February 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Indochina Travel Services said...

Nice blogs. Reviews from Indochina Travel Services Web Master

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home